Salary & Benefits
Firefighters assigned to the Operations Section work a 24 hour shift. All other positions with the exception of Fire Rescue Communications work 8 hour shifts.
- Specialty Pay
- Educational Incentive
- Tuition Sponsorship
- Paid Vacation
- Holidays & Sick Leave
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Information: www.MyFRS.com
Firefighter/EMT positions start at $35,736.
- Shift work: Working 24 consecutive hours and off 48 hours.
- Paramedic $3,510/year
- Special Hazards Operations Team $1,560/year
- Fire Investigator $650/year
- Rescue assignment $36/shift
- 2 year degree in related field $150/quarterly
- 4 year degree in related field $330/quarterly
- St. Johns County Fire Rescue aggressively trains personnel in all fire rescue related aspects.
- Throughout the year, courses offered include the certification programs of Fire Officer I and II, Fire Safety Inspector I, Pump Operators, and Hazardous Material Technician.
- Additional courses related to such specialty operations as trench rescue, confined space and high angle are available at specified points during the year.
- 120 paid vacation hours/year (increases to 180 with 3 years service)
- 8 paid holidays per year for 24 hour Shift personnel
- On duty personnel receive 2.5 times salary for 24 hours
- Off duty personnel receive a “banked” 24 hours of usable leave
- 144 paid sick hours accrued annually
- Funeral leave
- Military leave
- Birthday leave (24 hours leave)