Housing & Community Services
News & Announcements
Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice Public Meeting – The Housing and Community Services Division of St. Johns County will hold a public meeting to present the draft of the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice to the community and is inviting public comment on the document.
- Public Meeting to Present the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice will be held on January 10, 2019, in the Kingfisher Conference Room of the Health and Human Services Building located at 200 San Sebastian View, St. Augustine, FL 32084. The meeting is scheduled for 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Public Comment Period – Residents of St. Johns County are invited to comment on the draft of Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice from December 21, 2018 through January 21, 2019.
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice Public Notice
Affordable Housing Advisory Committee Vacancies – St. Johns County currently has a need for two individuals to join the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee.
Candidates should have one of the following qualifications to be considered for appointment to the vacant seats on the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee:
- Essential Service Personnel – any person in need of affordable housing, who is a permanent employee (excluding temporary and on-call employees) of a company or organization located within St. Johns County, including teachers and educators, police and fire personnel, health care personnel and skilled building trades personnel); OR
- Residential Home Building – A citizen who is actively engaged in the residential home building industry in connection with affordable housing.
Citizens are always welcome to attend the meetings of the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee. The next meeting is scheduled for December 19 at 3 p.m., in the Kingfisher Conference Room at the Health and Human Services Building, 200 San Sebastian View, Suite 2300, St. Augustine, FL 32084. Please call (904) 209-0300 for additional information. Board Application
The Housing & Community Services Division is responsible for the promotion, development, preservation and administration of affordable housing programs, initiatives and policies in St. Johns County. These programs are designed for both single family, multifamily households and developers. Housing & Community Services also assists with related community development issues such as utilities, roads and zoning.
Housing & Community Services Divisions & Information
Everyone deserves affordable housing. However, as the cost of housing rises, many of us are forced to pay more than we can really afford. People you rely on — teachers, bank tellers, police officers, firefighters, nurses, waiters, and even many young professionals — may need assistance with housing. Various resources are available to those who wish to live in St Johns County.
Housing and Financial Counseling Program
The St. Johns County Housing and Financial Counseling Program is designed to help you overcome the potential obstacles first-time homebuyers encounter and connect you with resources that will help turn your dream of owning your own home into a reality.
Community Development Block Grant
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. The CDBG entitlement program allocates annual grants to larger cities and urban counties to develop viable communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP)
Florida Housing administers the State Housing Initiatives Partnership program (SHIP), which provides funds to local governments as an incentive to create partnerships that produce and preserve affordable homeownership and multifamily housing. The program was designed to serve very low, low and moderate income families.
- SHIP FY 2017 Annual Report | Notice of Availability of SHIP Funds
- SHIP 2017-2020 Local Housing Assistance Plan (LHAP)
For more information, call (904) 827-6890.
The Rehabilitation Program is intended to alleviate immediate and potential housing problems, thus preventing further damage to the structure while allowing the occupants to continue residing in their homes. Code, safety and health issues are paramount.
Housing Finance Authority
The Housing Finance Authority of St. Johns County issues tax-exempt and taxable bonds for affordable multifamily housing and single family mortgages.
The St. Johns County Community Redevelopment Agency was established to promote, coordinate and fund a variety of residential and commercial redevelopment efforts in three community redevelopment areas.