2023 St. Johns County Lifeguard Program
Become an Ocean Lifeguard! St. Johns County Fire Rescue to hold annual tryouts for Seasonal Lifeguard for the 2023 Beach Season! We are in need of highly motivated and qualified personnel to staff our beaches for this summer. We provide all the required training during a paid Marine Rescue Academy. Starting pay is $16.17 per hour!
Step 1: Complete Online Application
- Ocean Lifeguard Program Online Application
- Email Lt. Jessica Earl at firstname.lastname@example.org, so you can be placed on a contact list and receive updates.
Step 2: Complete Initial Paperwork
Please Note: You must use the official St. Johns County forms posted below. The documents must be turned in at the time you attend a tryout.
- Physical Exam Form – Must be 100% complete, signed by you, and signed by the doctor of your choice. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
- Lifeguard Academy Training Waiver – Must be signed and notarized.
Step 3: Attend a Tryout
All new applicants are required to attend a physical qualification test and pass the following standards prior to start of the Marine Rescue Academy. Tryouts will alll be held at the Solomon Calhoun Pool, unless otherwise noted.
- 500 meter swim under 10:00 minutes
- ½ mile run under 3:30 minutes
Date & Time
- Saturday, January 28 at 9am
- Saturday, February 11 at 9am
- Saturday, February 25 at 9am
- Saturday, March 11 at 9am
- Saturday, March 25, 9am
- Saturday, April 8 at 9am
- Saturday, April 22 at 9am
- Saturday, May 6 at 9am
- Solomon Calhoun Pool, 1300 Duval Street, St. Augustine, FL 32084.
Step 4: Attend Marine Rescue Training Academy
All potential new guards are required to attend the Marine Rescue Academy in order to be eligible for hire with St. Johns County Marine Rescue. Qualifying participants will be paid to attend the Academy. The MRA consist of 8 hours of CPR for the Professional Rescuer, 40 hours of Emergency Medical Responder, and 40 hours of USLA Advanced Surf Rescue training. All individuals are required to attend the Academy in its entirety regardless of previous experience .
Marine Rescue Academy
Class starts Sunday May 14 – Saturday May 27 (everyday except Friday’s)
- Class runs 9am-5pm daily
- Individuals are required to attend all class sessions. If you have any individual issues regarding attendance, please contact a Marine Rescue Officer.
- Application must be completed prior to Monday, May 1, 2023
- Qualification test must be completed by Saturday, May 6, 2023