Indigent / Unclaimed Cremations
Pursuant to Florida Statues, Chapter 406, the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners is responsible for the disposition of indigent or unclaimed persons who expire in St. Johns County. The Indigent status is met if a deceased household income is less than 150% of the Federal Poverty Level. The Unclaimed status is met when there is no legally responsible person who has accepted responsibility for the body.
How to Apply
1. REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION – Prepare the following required documentation:
- Photo ID of deceased and relative or legally authorized representative
- Social Security Card of deceased
- Bank statement(s) 1 month prior to death for all members of the deceased household
- Income verification 1 month prior to death for all members of the deceased household.
2. APPLICATION – Choose one of two ways to submit your application. Both application methods require all documentation to be submitted. Please do not begin the application process without having all required documents ready for submission:
- Complete the PDF - Indigent / Unclaimed Cremation Services Application. Please print PDF and bring to one of the two offices listed below along with all the required documentation needed for determination.
3. REVIEW – Once application and all required documents are received and reviewed by a Case Specialist additional documentation may be requested depending on your unique situation.
Have questions or need assistance? We are open to assist you! Please call (904) 209-6140.
- Social Services - Main Office – Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm
200 San Sebastian View, Suite 2300
St. Augustine, FL 32084
- Social Services - Hastings Office – Tuesday & Thursday, 10am to 5pm
Hastings Library, 6195 S Main St.
Hastings, FL 32145